The second type of appointment we offer is a Document Review appointment to review Personal Statements, Resumes, and Addendums. If you'd like us to review your personal statement or other law school essay, then please use the online scheduler here to select a Personal Statement/Resume/Essay Review Appointment type, and upload the documents that you want us to review.
- Our advisors can review up to 3 documents during one appointment. For example: A personal statement, a diversity essay, and a law school resume can be reviewed during one appointment. (Just upload it all as one file, preferably in Word format.) We will review personal statements/essays of University of Illinois students and alumni up to two times.
- Our advisors will provide feedback on: Content, theme, structure, transitions, flow, and overall quality of writing. We'll give our impressions and offer suggestions on these topics. We'll also help to troubleshoot problem spots and brainstorm potential alternatives.
- However, we won't: edit, proofread, correct grammar or spelling errors, rewrite, or restructure your statement. It's very important for applicants to express themselves in their own words, especially because the personal statement is intended as a writing sample reflecting your ability. Ours is not a proofreading service but one intended to help students clarify and convey ideas effectively for purposes of a law school application.
- For specific feedback, the personal statement review is most effective when your essay is fairly complete--meaning, you are at the point where you have a fairly complete draft, yet you are still open to feedback.
- Peak Times: Our busiest times generally are late October through December. During this period, our advisors will frequently be booked. Please reserve your appointment in advance and cancel in a timely way if necessary so that we can maximize our appointment availability.
If you have not yet created a meaningful draft, but would like to discuss a personal statement strategy more generally, we recommend scheduling a Pre-Law Advising appointment or reviewing the personal statement resources we've posted in our Pre-Law Handbook or on our Compass page for some guidance.
Document Review appointments are available on a remote basis only. The recommend format for these appointments is Zoom to facilitate the document review process, however, phone appointments are also available upon request.